Help in your personal prayer life
- Spend a little time focussing on the Father’s love for you. Affirm the truth that you are his beloved and cherished child who brings him great joy, and that you stand before him with your sins forgiven.
- Dwell on this for a while so that the truth really sinks in. Enjoy the awareness of how precious and valuable you are to him.
- Then reflect on the truth that you are loved so much by the Father that he gave Jesus for you. Spend a few moments worshipping and thanking him for this.
- Give some thought to where Jesus is for you at this very moment. You may have a sense of him being somewhere specific in the room, or have a picture in your mind of him being there. Alternately you may have a sense of his peace within you. You may feel nothing at all, but this doesn’t alter the truth that Jesus is present – he promised he would always be with you.
- Since he is there, what would you like to say to him? Basically this is your chance to be as honest as you wish with him. You are talking to Jesus who has already given his life for you, who knows everything about you and yet who longs for your honesty and intimacy with him.
- As you speak to him, pause to allow Jesus to speak back to you. His ‘voice’ may not be an audible voice at all, but might be a picture that strikes you, a Bible verse that comes to mind, or even a random thought that occurs to you as you wait upon him.
- You might want to let a conversation develop, as you respond to what you sense Jesus is communicating to you. You may even have an increasing sense of what he wants to give you, or a specific way in which he wishes to touch you and it is the Holy Spirit who will bring that touch.
- Recognise that the Holy Spirit is with you now, since you are his temple and he dwells within you. You might like to ask for more of his touch, and for his transforming power in your life, just as it flowed through Jesus.
- You may find it helpful to open your hands in a posture of receiving as you ask the Holy Spirit to come upon you in a new way. As you wait, without being over analytical be aware of what you are sensing. It may be something specific or nothing particularly noticeable, but remember the words of Jesus from Luke 11:13: “If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
- End your prayer time in the expectation that God has been at work. Thank him that the transforming power of the Holy Spirit is doing something in your life and in your situation.